Friday, April 5, 2013

Friend of A Broken Heart: Validating for a New and Friendlier World

I listened to a beautiful song this morning on YouTube sung by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir called "Friend of a Wounded Heart." I knew the song-- a number of years ago it was pretty much my theme song as I sought such consolation. I listened to the song differently this morning and made some interesting, I think, extrapolations and connections.

The two lines in the song that stood out to me the most were "friend of a wounded heart" and "he meets you where you are" both in reference to Christ's position. The song led me to thoughts about what it means to be Christian or non-Christain yet believing that Jesus was a good man, leader, martyr, or prophet. And of course Christians believe He is God incarnate. I also did a little research and learned that the original word "Christian" was coined by non-Christians to mean "little-Christs"-- a mockery.

Now the connection I am making. I know few people with a sensitive or empathic spirit within them that do not find themselves befriending and supporting the broken hearted. I also see a strong move in our culture to meet people where they are. Then there are those who don't and make a mockery of those who do. Are the qualities represented above not the essence of goodness, of caring, of empathy, of healing and validation-- of bringing unity among all people on our planet? For Christians, are these qualities not the essence of Christianity?

Let me just put this out there. How much better would we collectively be if we all befriended the broken hearted, if we met all of our brothers and sisters where they are. I for one need such friends and want to be that friend-- to you, my friends. Feel free to remind me when I'm not. :-)

Discussion is welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment